We’ve had some strange submissions to the ICT help desk this month, including a broken toaster?? and an enquiry about a broadband office installation??? LOL – we can’t help with any of these enquiries so I thought I’d post some of the VALID queries that we CAN help with:
- Internal Seagate drive failed in desktop pc, according to another data recovery company they said they could t do a full scan so they couldn’t do a data retrieval. I originally removed the HD from the October indentify if it it was a pc or Hd problem. When I placed the HD in an external drive reader, it noted a connection and you could hear the drive power up, but it wouldnt assign a drive letter or let me view it
- I have deleted by mistake all my files from my hd external seagate and I would like to know how much do you charge to recover everything back.
- I have a WD MY PASSPORT ULTRA HD 3 TB for around a year and half and suddenly 2 days ago none of my 2 computers can’t seem to access it. The HD shows on disk utility but I’m not able to access it.I have around 500 gb of personal data in there that I would like to recover. I have tried all the methods that I could find online but none have worked so far. As far as I know the HD has never been dropped or tossed.
- Had for some time, attempted to back up – Mac not recognising drive contacted apple care, state disk corrupted and therefore cannot access. Suggest only option is to delete data, but valuable data to me (photos, videos etc) and therefore would like to recover data from hard drive before deleting. The external hard drive is an Iomega 31887300
- My external hard drive has a mechanical fault and is doing that clicking sound. I have a lot of data on it, but the most important thing to me is about 2 years (~40gb) worth of photos.
- I have a WD ‘My Passport’ external hard drive which unfortunately has broken (not recognised as a drive by any computer) and I stupidly have not backed up the data. When I have taken it to Curry’s PC World and a local computer shop they have said my data is unrecoverable by them but suggested some specific data recovery services may be able to do it, but it is a big maybe. I unfortunately have no clue as to the amount of data on it.
- Macbook Air 11″ early 2014 a1465 SSD fault. SSD installed is a Toshiba 128gb. Mac won’t boot from the ssd but will once removed. Recent update to High Sierra could have disabled or broken the SSD. Only 10GB of Photos needs to be recovered. What might this cost to recover if the failure is with the ssd hardware.
So we can’t help with toasters but we can help with the above enquiries…. Speak soon!
Here’s a roundup of what’s come in at the Helpdesk in August so far.
What would be the cost of recovering data from a 120GB imoga external hard drive (photos music etc).
I work in city so would be using Lombard street branch, lost all multimedia images videos etc. WD drive . getting click sound
I’m writing this to inquire about email verification.
I need a report regarding the sender, receiver and possibly the date of the email.
The email is on the Webmail server (www.chmail.ir). I have access to it and can forward it .
I would be glad to give you more information.
My hard drive ,is clicking, ive got all my payroll info on there. need it asap.
I’m not able to speak today as im in interviews all day but i will be able to respond to emails.
How much does the recovery cost ?
I contact you because 2 of my external hard drives need data recovery/saving.
I really need to access the files as I need to find a new job and I need my data for it.
It’s a rugged Lacie maybe 5 years old with 3 ports (usb, Firewire 200 and 400) When I plug it, it appears on the computer desktop, (I can open folders and see the files) and then it suddenly disconnect by itself after 30 sec/1min. I can’t back up this hard drive at all. Do you think there’s a way to keep it connected?
It is a WD 1to that needs to be plugged on the electric system. So When I switch it on, I can hear it working and a little light appears, but if I plug it to the computer it doesn’t come up, no signals nothing.
My questions are: What do you think it could be? How much would it cost to get the data or repair the HDs? Is there anything that you could advise me to do please?
My toshiba 500gb external drive no longer responds to the usb plug. For a while I had to press the plug in at an angle to get the drive to power up, and hold it there, but now it doesn’t respond at all.
My external hard drive is called WD – My Passport. Its 3no. T in size. It cannot be opened or recognised / seen on my computer when I plug it in and I have tried in on 2no. different PC’s.
It also makes a terrible clicking noise when plugged in.
It has not been dropped nor had water thrown on it. It is however, around 5no. years old.
Can you provide me with a quote to fix and further information?
Hello All – Here’s the top 5 types of data loss enquiry that were logged at the ICT Helpdesk last month.
I think it’s overheated as it just stopped working and I could smell burning from the drive I removed the hard drive from the LaCie extrnal case to inspect it but could see no visual faults. It’s a 400gb drive with photos movies and music on.
- My laptop will not boot and gives the error message ‘no boot device found‘. A local computer repair company has been unable to read the hard drive, which is a Western Digital 1TB WD10JPVX. Annoyingly, my laptop had recently been running very slowly with the drive sometimes showing as being at 100% usage when I checked Task Manager but disabling Flash seemed to help so I didn’t investigate any further. I hope you can help recover my data.
- 500GB Seagate manufactured hard drive which was originally part of a Maxtor external hard drive. Approximately 250GB of data on the drive.
- The drive has failed, and is not being read by the computer. No sounds to indicate that the disk is damaged. Drive has power, and spins up. However, it simply continues to spin, without being initialised or read by the computer, so a component fault is suspected.
- I was moving my hard drives around my house and dropped the hard drive onto laminate from about 4 foot so I think it’s a mechanical problem as the drive starts up and spins for a few seconds then turns off. The hard drive is a desktop hard drive but was once an external that i had that was taken out of the chassis a while back and used in my PC for a while. Read write head damaged, seagate 2TB external hard drive. Would like to try and recover my photos and videos from my hard drive.
- Drive starts to boot to Windows 7 32 bit. Windows attempts repair but fails. Windows won’t start.Puppy Linux on Live CD does not recognise the drive as existing in file manager but it is aware of the drive in the hardware section.
- I want to enquire about two items:
1) Do you do DVD repairs? I have 4 disks that are damaged that i need recovered.
2) Can you put DVDs into a digital format? They are home DVDs with no protection issues.
The DVD recovery was an interesting one. We are hardly ever asked for this. Data is nearly always stored on hard drive, but I’m glad to confirm that yes, we can retrieve data from CD’s and DVD’s too. See your local ICT person for details.