WD My Cloud EX2 Data Recovery

Welcome to 2018 everyone – I’m jumping straight in to a post about a user from Nottingham whose missing some files from a Western Digital My Cloud NAS hard drive system.

I have a WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra.
Had several ‘red lights’ for the drives – ran some tests – found some problems (well explained at https://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=911 and http://data-recovery-tips.co.uk/raid-data-recovery/) but when re-booted, the same tests were normal. WD advised me to just keep an eye on it.
Was OK for a while then started getting red lights again. Sorted out an RMA with WD – they sent me out a new enclosure with two new drives.
WD gave me the wrong instructions – told me to remove one new drive, replace with one of the old drives and rebuild the RAID. It turns out I should have done RAID roaming and put both old drives in the new enclosure first before replacing one with a new drive, and then the second new drive once the RAID was re-built. So what seems to have happened is that one of my existing drives has been effectively wiped (not overwritten though I think). Now my other existing drive seems to be failing. I can’t access on of the shares at all and the dashboard says the volume is degraded.
I’ve spoken to someone at DataClinic and she advised me that I would be looking at around £500 to recover all my data and save it to the new drives – would that be about right? I’m going to try to get WD to pay for this.

WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra hard drive

I have WD my cloud box with 3 TB drive which recently stopped working. It could not be detected via network anymore. I opened a box and put the drive into laptop via sata usb cable and it can not be detected. Disk produces periodic strange noise like trying to spin but can’t + something similar to high voltage electric noise. It stops after several attempts

My external hard drive (WD Elements 4109G 1TB) set up as my Mac Time Machine drive has stopped working. It’s developed some hard drive problem but I don’t know what it is. I’m thinking of getting a My Cloud system to put my files on – perhaps an EX2 RAID NAS but what I’ve written above does not fill me with confidence. I’m not very good at technology so would have to get a data recovery company to do it.