SSDs and Other Items

Hooray we've finally got rid of these ancient CRT machines that were blighting central IT services buildings!

Hooray we’ve finally got rid of these ancient CRT machines that were blighting central IT services buildings!

The 3rd quarter rollout of new kit across the LEA has bought with it a fair few problems (I hate to say I told you so, but I did), when Monks School in Cambridge losing a server due to a bad SSD upgrade and several Director’s new iPhones being incorrectly synch’ed with the cloud during the Teacher’s Conference in August. Ho-hum, and that’s not all – here are some other issues that have been bought to my attention, send to me by various colleagues across the LEA.

SSD Recover Data Required

I have a failed samsung sata 1tb sad hard drive. I can hear the device spinning and it gets recognised when I connect the drive via sata to usb cable to windows PC, but cannot open the drive. It’s about 3 yrs old and contains mainly photos and mp3s. How much would you charge for repair?

Hmm these Evo drives unfortunately have quite a lot of problems. According to this page on the web site of Data Clinic, the English data recovery company, the NAND chips in these devices are of very low quality and the result is lost data. Modern Evo drives use Samsung’s 3DNAND chips which are much better and solve the problem, but Evo SSD hard drives that use the older TLCNAND chips will all fail, see this interesting article from PC World too http://www.pcworld.com/article/2998497/storage/tlc-nand-ssds-the-crippling-problem-storage-makers-dont-advertise.html on the subject of TLC NAND chips. So how do you check if your Evo SSD is using these old chips? There seems to be no easy way. If you were hoping for a page on the Samsung web site where you could enter your hard drive’s serial number then you’re going to be disappointed, so my advice to your is to back your data up, quickly and perhaps use a different hard drive.

Data Transfer Question

I have a Lenovo S440 laptop with a factory fitted 128gb SSD, which is too small for my needs. Would you be able to back up contents and replace with a 250gb or 500gb SSD? If so, what would the approximate cost be?

Hi your question is really one concerning data transfer rather than data recovery as there is nothing wrong with your hard drive. Yes we can do this for you, but we’d charge you about £200. So instead, to save you money just ask your trusted LEA IT department and get them to do it for you. How do you find a trusted IT dept? Well, you could speak to your friends and colleagues, or ask me 🙂

iPhone 6 Dropped in Water – Need Recovery

I recently dropped my iPhone 6 in water and it is now completely unresponsive (doesn’t turn on, charge etc). Approximately how much would it cost to recover just the photos/videos that I have taken on the device? Please could you respond by email.

The main cause of failure with phones that have been dropped in water is shorting on the phone’s power rail. The power rail runs across the whole of the phone supplying power to the entire contents such as the touch screen, the memory chips, the main circuit board etc. So when water invades the case it causes many little short circuits throughout the phone. If you’re lucky just a clean up of the phone is necessary to remove all the short circuits from it, but more likely is the possibility that there has been some significant damage to one of the major components in the phone. This will have to be swapped out with a replacement part if we are to be able to get to the stage of recovering data from the phone. Spare phone parts such as screens etc (see http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/services/repairs/mobile-phone/screen-repair) cost in the region of £60 or so. If you have an iPhone, I advise avoiding the Apple stores as they will charge you about £200 for the privilege.