Enquiries from the IT Desk

More hard drive data recovery enquiries in this latest blog – again with links supplied to help you out. If you have any questions or get stuck, give me a call through internal IT / LEA numbers and I’ll help you out.

• lost fileI have a WD Elements external hard drive used to store photos and I’m no longer able to access them. I was referred to you by 3B Systems in Nelson as a company that might be able to recover the images.
    As you are based in Bury would it be convenient to call in to see you.
  • I plugged my seagate expansion portable external hard-drive into my laptop and it was not being recognised after several restarts of my computer. Although the light came on it was also making a strange beeping noise. The drive was accidentally dropped from a small height last week and so that is probably the cause of the damage. I don’t think the laptop is the issue as several other usb’s I have tried all have worked. I have photos from my masters project on the hard drive which I need to give to my supervisor, so need the drive fixing or data recovered quickly.
  • Basically I use a Seagate GoFlex Home to store my data files on a home network. To the best of my recollection there is about 550 gb of data on it, mostly music and photos, also some documents, domestic and relating to my voluntary activities. If we go away for more than the odd night, I turn it off, remove the actual storage unit from the base, and store it in a fireproof box in a safe place while we’re away. On our return I reverse the process. I have done this about a dozen times in the four years I have used the device, without problems. We got home yesterday and having put the drive unit back on the base and turned it on, I found it was non-functioning in that it connects to the network, but the drive itself doesn’t work (the white light does not come on). Windows recognises that it is there but says there are no files on it, as does the Seagate website. I’ve tried all the usual stuff like turning it off and back on etc. to no avail. I last used it literally immediately before turning it off on the day we left, and it has shown no signs of any problems, prior to that. So far as I am aware the unit contains two physical drives, one of which backs up to the other. I suppose I never considered both of them failing at the same time. I’ve been to a local firm who say that it’s a mechanical problem and they can’t help, and recommended you.

Remember if you are going to start troubleshooting a hard drive, make sure you back the data up first!