Network Attached Storage Installations

WD NASThis article is about buying a NAS box for your home or small office environment. Hopefully it will give you confidence to install one yourself if this is something you want to do. My oldest daughter has her very own notebook and my youngest daughter comes with an IPad. They both have smartphones also. Additionally they shoot lots of pictures which wish to save, as texting and well and all of those other things teens use their mobile phones for.

Saving this data to the family iMac was good – there was lots os space and it had been an uncomplicated thing to realize but as time went by there was more and more data to save – more pictures, more videos and now music also. Utilizing the net to find a solution to my issue, my focus was brought to Network Attached Storage, otherwise called NAS. Essentially these are devices that connect to the router in your house a let anyone connected to that router to utilize them. Great I believed – I’ll get among those ! And so I did so, everyone was happy.

It came in a good box using a link to Datlabs NAS Support who I could call if I needed any technical assistance setting the NAS upward and getting it working right. I simply plugged it in, typed our password on our network and it installed itself. The very first thing to do was to transfer all our pictures, videos and music data from our family Mac onto the NAS. That was easy – a simple drag and drop operation saw that finished with no troubles. There was loads of data – some 50GB or so… How can teens make as much data?? All of which was of course, vital to them.

Anyhow with that done I set about cleaning the Mac upward and deleting files and folders. Another 30 minutes or so and it was finished. The initial thug I found was the the machine started to run a great deal faster – which was a result I was really pleased with.

Next I took a view of the setup of our new NAS apparatus. It’s a 4 disc Linux based storage device that runs RAID 5. This implies the data it holds is spread throughout all 4 discs instead of one. That’s somewhat unusual I presumed but after closer investigation I learned this was infact a great matter. It permits one drive to neglect and my data to still live without being lost. RAID 5 additionally supply increased data read speeds too – something that was obvious in the minute we started using our NAS file server concurrently. While I had been able to stream music from this my daughters could see their pictures. This all worked good – something that we’re able to never do before in the Mac as it was simply not fast enough. So introducing a NAS RAID file server into our house surroundings is a great success. Installing it was simple and I didn’t need to get hold of Datlabs for help in setting this up, I do believe I’ll keep their link though only incase anything occurs to the NAS that I can’t sort out myself.